*Book Review* CHOOSING DONALD TRUMP

Home Forums Community Forum *Book Review* CHOOSING DONALD TRUMP

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  seeking grace & gratitude 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

‘Choosing Donald Trump: God, Anger, Hope & Why Christian Conservatives Supported Him’ By Stephen Mansfield

I’ve never been one to shy away from difficult topics. In fact, I find it a bit thrilling to engage in conversations that can tiptoe a fine line of debate and border on controversy.

While my involvement in heated discussions has received the best of my temper and self-righteous attitude in the past, I have since put down my wall of opinion and have developed both wisdom and an open-minded worldview. Especially in my recent study of apologetics, I have become fairly impartial and independently objective in understanding all sides and angles of any issue.

With that being said, I did not hesitate to dive right into my latest read from Baker Publishing Group – Choosing Donald Trump: God, Anger, Hope & Why Christian Conservatives Supported Him.

Admittedly, this was the first political book I have ever read, though, it was written more like an unbiased account of historical and biographical events. The author, Stephen Mansfield, was as fair and balanced as the best possible source I could ever imagine to write a book about our forty-fifth president, Donald Trump.

Choosing Donald Trump is centered around one of the most popular questions pondered by the American people – How did Donald Trump win the election and gain support from conservatives and Christian evangelicals? While it is true that Trump was an unlikely candidate as well as a man who lives his life far from the Jesus standard, there was something about him that made many Americans root for him and believe in his message.

“By the dawn of the 2016 presidential race, religious conservatives were traumatized by the Obama years and fearful a second Clinton presidency would mean more of the same. They would back anyone who could win. They would take a nonbeliever. They would accept a candidate of doubtful morality. They were even willing to risk racial and gender offense on the part of their candidate. They could not endure more years of bombardment from a religious left intent upon remaking the nation. So they stood with Donald Trump, and in doing so they took responsibility for the Trump presidency before the nation and the world. They “own” him now. They are wed to him, whatever he does.”

– Excerpt taken from page 15 of Choosing Donald Trump

Mansfield conducted numerous interviews to support the content in this book. Those he interviewed included patriots “who wept at the thought of a Trump presidency” as well as patriots who were outspoken in their favor of Trump. Likewise, he spoke with Christians who prayed against the former candidate and current president and also those who were pro-Trump evangelicals who didn’t understand why all Christians were not supporting Trump’s message. Additionally, Mansfield spent time interviewing aging Hispanics, young black students, Muslims, gays, handicapped individuals, immigrants, and members/veterans of the Armed Forces. He was not exclusive in his goal to obtain as many angles, perspectives, beliefs, and opinions as possible. I found this to be very informative and completely unbiased.

This leads to a very important point – Choosing Donald Trump did not paint Trump in the most beautiful light. Quite contrary. It did not hide any information about him presently or in the past but it also didn’t brag or boast about him to feed his ego or elevate his potential legacy. Mansfield did an excellent job of simply stating the facts, from every which way, in a manner that is so straightforward it will almost hit you in the face. Take it for what it is worth – truth about the man we now call president and reality our president is a broken, imperfect human just like you and me.

If you are at all questioning the current condition of the United States of America or are at odds with the results of the 2016 presidential election, I encourage you to adapt an open mind and remove all barriers of selective judgment and personal opinion. I strongly believe this is a book that all Americans should read but mainly those Americans who call themselves Christians. This book will help you to understand the man in the Oval Office, the authenticity of his heart and the motives behind his actions. It takes a neutral stance yet is fully beneficial for all American conservatives. It covers a wide range of topics from religion of our country to the religion of Donald Trump; the state of his home life to the past and present state of the country all Americans call “home.”

Regardless of what side of the aisle you find yourself on, there is hope for the future if you choose to put your hope in the Lord.

“It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.” ~ Psalm 118:8 (ESV)

“You can’t depend on anyone, not even a great leader.” ~ Psalm 146:3 (CEV)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar