*Book Review* AN IMPERFECT WOMAN

Home Forums Community Forum *Book Review* AN IMPERFECT WOMAN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

An Imperfect Woman: Letting Go of the Need to Have it All Together

By Kim Hyland

If you’ve been following Seeking Grace & Gratitude for a while, then you know I am a self-proclaimed recovering perfectionist. As a follower of Christ, I have found freedom in my battle with perfectionism by identifying as being imperfectly perfect – perfectly designed by God, yet humanly flawed. I certainly am no expert on perfectionism but as someone who is bent towards it I strongly acknowledge that the struggle is real.

So when I received An Imperfect Woman: Letting Go of the Need to Have it All Together by Kim Hyland as my next book to review, I was ecstatic for the opportunity to read about an issue that personally plagues me every day.

The book asserts the reader will find freedom by acknowledging their limitations and embracing the perfection of God through His grace. While it did deliver on that promise, I felt the rest of the book fell short on addressing the deep urge a true perfectionist battles with – the internally forceful need to seek and obtain perfection in every little thing and in every possible aspect of life.

An Imperfect Woman’s own tagline is Letting Go of the Need to Have it All Together. I felt there was no connection between the content and the tagline of this book and in fact felt like the content was all over the place.

On a more positive note, I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the personal reflection questions that followed each chapter as well as the biblical material presented. I felt like both the scriptural references and reflection questions addressed the heart of the message while the rest of content missed the mark in painting a more relatable picture of the daily struggle that many women face –seeking perfection in an imperfect world.

Would I recommend this book? Eh. Truthfully, I thought it was so-so for where I am personally as a recovering perfectionist.

If you are someone who occasionally gets caught up in comparison or in setting unrealistic expectations in hopes of achieving perfection, then maybe this book is a good read for you. If, however, you are someone who has a deep internal conflict with perfectionism (like myself prior to discovering freedom by accepting God’s beautiful gift of grace), then this book is like popcorn at a movie that you can mindlessly munch on but receive little fulfillment.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar